The summer is coming to a close and as the seasons change the days get shorter, the leaves start changing colors, the weather gets cooler and outdoor family fun activities wind down. Autumn is the perfect time to prepare your home for colder weather months.
- Clean out gutters and downspouts and check to make sure they are securely connected to the house.
- Change burned out light bulbs in outside fixtures, walkway and motion lights
- Replace worn weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Check utility entry points for gaps that will allow air in, caulk if needed.
- Change the filter in your heating & cooling system
- Get your heating & cooling system inspected by a professional
- Have your fireplace and chimney cleaned
- Shut off water to outside hose bibs. Remove hoses, drain and store them for the winter.
- Store all outdoor items like patio furniture, toys and umbrellas. Protect your barbecue with a grill cover.
One last thing to add to the checklist is making sure your homeowners insurance is up to date. For more information contact The Schwab Agency. Our team can help you with all of your insurance needs.